It’s not very often that a new asset class is born. But that’s exactly what we’re witnessing that today with the rise of crypto.
Over just the last four years, crypto has evolved from an embryonic $50B market to a young-but-growing $1T market today. At Bitwise, we think that’s just getting started. In fact, we believe crypto has reached a turning point, and is headed north of $10T over the next few years. Along the way, we expect there to be risks, pitfalls, and uncertainty — much like there was during the rise of the Web, of cloud computing, and of apps. But we also expect there will be great opportunities, and millions of people wanting to participate in the potential upside.
Our goal at Bitwise is to help busy, mainstream investors understand and access the opportunities emerging in the cryptocurrency asset class. We want all those who so desire to be able to come along for the ride, in a secure and simple manner, and to be able to benefit from the role crypto exposures can play in pursuing their investment objectives.
Today is at an exciting moment for Bitwise as a firm. We manage over $1B and are growing quickly, with the largest crypto index fund in the world (ticker: BITW), the first DeFi index fund, and a lot more coming. We focus on serving investment professionals—financial advisors, family offices, hedge funds, endowments, foundations, and others—the people entrusted to look after the capital and savings of individuals and institutions across the country. We provide education, partnership, and professionally-managed investment products tailored to this group’s needs, to help them build their view, pick their strategy, & get their exposure.
Currently, Bitwise is a close knit team of 14. Our backgrounds combine technology expertise with decades of experience in asset management and indexing — coming from firms including Facebook, Wealthfront, BlackRock, J.P. Morgan, IndexIQ, and ETF.com. We’re backed by some of the most accomplished investors in venture, and veterans of the financial services world. We love working together, we love what we do, and we’re excited about what’s ahead.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual to join the team and take on critical responsibilities to help Bitwise scale and our clients succeed. We are building a world-class research team at Bitwise, providing broad and deep coverage of the cryptoasset market and helping communicate the risks, opportunities and developments in that space to our audience of professional investors.
Reporting to the Director of Research, the DeFi Research Analyst will be the leading expert on the DeFi space at Bitwise, providing comprehensive coverage of one of the fastest-growing and most exciting areas of crypto. There will be a lot to learn, a huge impact to be had, and some life-long relationships to be built along the way.
What You Will Do
- You’ll develop market-leading expertise on DeFi as a category, and on individual cryptoassets and dapps, including Uniswap, Aave, Synthetix, Maker, and other DeFi-specifc blockchains and dapps.
- You’ll use this expertise to educate the world about DeFi, producing in-depth research papers, quarterly reports, fact sheets, articles, and daily commentary on the space. You’ll publish work in your name and contribute to broader reports from Bitwise.
- You’ll speak with clients who have detailed questions about DeFi space, and contribute to larger Bitiwse reports tackling crypto as a whole.
- You’ll work cross-functionally with the rest of the research team, the CIO, the CEO, portfolio management, and sales.
- You’ll participate in marketing and sales activities around strategies, including material production, webinars, client calls, and presentations.
- You’ll assist with other activities of the research team. You will wear many hats, contribute to many projects, and adapt to the needs of a growing organization.
In short, you’re going to be the DeFi expert at Bitwise. It’s going to be exciting.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- You have 3+ years of experience in financial services, investment management, or crypto research, ideally as an analyst, strategist, or specialist.
- You are detail-oriented, accurate, and love wrangling data. You are proficient with Excel, Google Sheets, and ideally also with R or Python. You also have a taste for data visualization and can create compelling Powerpoint or Keynote presentations.
- You are a great communicator, in writing and conversation, and a clear thinker. You can convey complex narratives and details with clarity and coherence in a way that is not just accurate but that can be understood by a general audience.
- You should be fascinated with crypto, excited about its potential, and aware of its risks. More broadly, you’re passionate about investments and investment management and want to have an impact in the field.
- Your style is like ours: High-energy, positive, caring, deliberate, self-aware, curious, and open-minded. You’re inclined to take ownership to get the best outcome but happy to transfer or share ownership with others. You’re proactive in pursuing what you want, take pride in your ability to communicate and connect with others, and are always looking to improve.
- You have a willingness and enthusiasm to learn new topics and be dynamic in a rapidly evolving company and space. You’re excited about being part of a small and nimble startup and team.
If what we’re doing excites you, and the role looks like a fit, we’d love to hear from you and explore you joining as an early member of the Bitwise team.