The security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. We measure ourselves by the impact of the work we do, striving to efficiently lower technical risk at Coinbase. The nature of digital assets we custody causes our work to be focused entirely preventatively, and we fully embrace ‘shifting left.’
We’re looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution. Our developer team moves quickly.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will become the primary security expert for multiple product lines, and act as the point of contact for engineering and security.
- Perform architecture reviews to steer projects in the right direction early, participate in security code reviews, and perform penetration testing against products prior to shipping.
- You will help to automate common tasks and patterns so that we don’t have to churn through the same code twice. We have open sourced our Static Analysis orchestrator (Salus), and are always looking to make it better.
- Support engineering with implementing security fixes, ensuring security scanners are utilized correctly, and develop strategies to proactively secure their architecture.
- Review development frameworks for security functionality, consistency, and uplift opportunities.
- Create threat models for products you’re responsible for, and leverage them to prioritize time based on risk impact.
- Educate and train product teams on security topics and skills to extend AppSec’s reach by deputizing product teams to help themselves.
What we look for in you:
- Our hiring process tests your competencies in our core technical skillset as described in the ‘what you’ll be doing’ section. Having a history exhibiting high quality execution in our core competencies will help your case.
- We expect each member of our team to embody our core principles: Collaborate and over communicate; Prioritize impact; Maintain a high personal standard; Share knowledge and experience; Drive a culture of ownership and responsibility.
- Our technical space spans many Protocols, Languages, and Frameworks. Proficiency in at least one of them is required. Current areas are: Blockchains, AWS (Serverless & otherwise), Docker, Ruby (Rails and otherwise), Golang, NodeJS, Android (Java/Kotlin), iOS (Swift, ObjC), Python. We have more minor use-cases for Java, C/C++, and Rust.
- As a security partner, we expect you to be capable of shifting between executing on reviews, writing standards, and writing code.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry. We would love to have you take the essentials of what you’ve learned and apply them to the unique challenges Coinbase faces in Digital Assets.
- If you have extensive experience securing large Rails, NodeJS, and Golang codebases, we can immediately start applying what you’ve learned to the code we are asked to secure. Experience training others on how to secure those codebases is a plus.
- If you’re fluent in Digital Assets, you’ll have less to learn about the fundamentals of our business, but we do not immediately decline candidates who are not totally fluent.
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we’d love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution works. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!