The security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. Additionally, we protect the company and its employees from the numerous risks that they face, enabling them to work efficiently and safely using state of the art tooling. We’re looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution.
What You’ll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- You will become a key security specialist for employee devices, software, and accounts, and act as a liaison between IT Operations and Security.
- You will develop deep empathy for employees and other partners, and balance security with business needs based on a “long term pain minimization” ethic.
- Perform architecture reviews to steer projects in the right direction early, lead security reviews, and develop security ownership of OSes, account systems, and software used at Coinbase.
- Make and own security policy to balance employee productivity and desired tooling, project feasibility, risk, cost, and other tradeoffs as appropriate.
- Create and run programs that ensure “table stakes” security such as patching, authentication, and proper tool selection are done correctly with a high degree of reliability, clear metrics, and are robust to failure.
- Grant and manage security exceptions to closure while maintaining a strong “customer centric” communications ethic.
- Make decisions around the declaration and management of security incidents relevant to your area as appropriate. (This is not an on-call role, however.)
- Create threat models for systems you’re responsible for, and use them to prioritize time based on risk impact.
- Educate and train teams on security topics and skills to extend CorpSec’s reach by deputizing other employees to help themselves.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- Our technical space spans many OSes, as well as various SaaS systems, root agents, and a wide variety of software and configurations. Proficiency in several is required. Some relevant areas are: MacOS, Android, iOS, CrOS, Windows, Crowdstrike Falcon, Okta, Duo, client side certificate systems, office networks, Puppet or Chef, Munki, and various MDM providers.
- Capable of shifting between architectural reviews, writing policy, collaborating with engineers or managers, and writing and speaking articulately and persuasively.
- Drive organizational change to ensure that Coinbase remains at least one step ahead of our attackers, managing upwards and cross team as appropriate.
Nice to haves
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry.
- Experience securing large (hundreds of thousands of devices) employee fleets or account systems. Experience training others on how to secure those are a plus.
- Fluency in digital assets
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we’d love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution works. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!