We are looking for a DevOps engineer to help us implement and deploy PolkaBTC.
The PolkaBTC bridge connects Bitcoin with the Polkadot ecosystem in a trustless and decentralized manner and will serve as the main gateway for bringing BTC liquidity into Polkadot’s DeFi ecosystem. The design is based on top tier academic research and the implementation follows our detailed specification. The project is funded by a Web3 Foundation grant.
Your task will be to improve our automated testing and deployment of the PolkaBTC bridge via our CI/CD pipelines. Additionally, you will develop a setup to automatically deploy and update our alpha and beta testnets that are scheduled to be released in November/December this year. This includes setting up logging and monitoring strategies across our cloud-hosted tech stack.
Our PolkaBTC bridge is implemented in Rust. Clients that interact with the bridge are implemented in Rust (CLI-based) and TypeScript/React (web-based). Additionally, we interface directly with Bitcoin’s core software written in C++. Our current CI setup is based on GitLab’s CI features. We are hosting our clients on Kubernetes/DigitalOcean.
We currently do not have a common logging and monitoring solution in place and it will be your task to suggest a suitable solution and implement it. All our infrastructure should be described by code and any task should be automated using scripts.
Experience with DevOps in blockchain-based environments and/or distributed systems is strongly encouraged, as you will need a basic understanding of the underlying technology to ensure the security of the system in a decentralized and open environment.
Full-time and preferably based in the UK (remote)
What you will do
-Automation of testnet deployments and upgrades for our PolkaBTC bridge
- Integration of test and deployment strategies for our various software products (PolkaBTC bridge, clients, UI …)
- Collaboration with our software engineering team to resolve issues before/during/after deployment
- Implementation and testing of a logging and monitoring solution for our various software products
- Creating metrics and graphs to display on a dashboard to monitor the status and health of our services
- Maintenance of our Kubernetes/DigitalOcean infrastructure
What you bring
- Expertise in Linux administration and very comfortable with a command-line interface
- Expertise in at least one programming language such as JS/TS/Python/Rust/Go/…
- Experience with Kubernetes/Docker
- Passion for automation of the entire DevOps toolchain
- Prior experience with CI/CD and monitoring of distributed applications
- Prior experience with open-source projects
- Desire to learn and work with bleeding-edge technology
- BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in English
“Nice to have”
- Experience with Rust/TypeScript projects
- Experience with blockchain-based projects
Benefits and Perks
- Stock options
- Remote working
- Flexible working hours
- Yearly retreat
- Open-source software