Protocol Labs is a research, development, and deployment institution for improving Internet technology. Protocol Labs leads groundbreaking internet projects, such as IPFS, the decentralized web protocol; Filecoin, a cryptocurrency incentivized storage network; and libp2p, a modular network stack for peer-to-peer apps and systems. Protocol Labs works openly, and is focused on the creation of value at a massive scale.
Don’t be fooled by the title, this is no ordinary engineering position. We’re looking for a driven individual to join the Startup Operations team to improve internal tooling and services, secure our environment, and provide effective, timely support. Your efforts will make Protocol Labs more productive, secure and effective.
Startup Systems Engineer at Protocol Labs
This isn’t an ordinary systems & security position. We are a distributed organization of over 120 collaborators (worldwide), split across multiple Research, Project, and Enablement teams — so we have some unique needs. Our team is responsible for improving the productivity and security of the entire organization, and you’ll do that by identifying key opportunities for improvement, benchmarking best practices, then developing new processes, systems, and technologies.
Protocol Labs sits at the intersection of many exciting fields (cryptography, blockchain backed networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open source, distributed work). This is a high impact role best suited for someone who deeply understands systems and security, and wants to apply it to a unique, decentralized organization. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As a Startup Systems Engineer you will…
- Proactively solicit feedback from our team to identify opportunities to improve organizational effectiveness, productivity, and security.
- Research, identify, build/buy and implement internal tools and processes that make us more productive and efficient.
- Research and implement policies and processes that secure our decentralized organization and drive confidence in open collaboration.
- Train Protocol Labs employees and ecosystem partners on existing processes, tooling, and policies to drive productivity, security, and effectiveness.
- Audit existing tools, processes, systems and services; optimize and develop risk mitigation plans to improve productivity, security and cost.
- Partner cross-functionally to develop an effective model for meeting the technology and security needs of decentralized, autonomous teams
- Manage traditional IT support requests including onboarding and offboarding employees to our internal tools and services.
- ‘Roll up your sleeves’ often and jump in to support other teams with tasks such as planning, logistics, even some product management and external customer relations.
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Have 6-10 years of experience in systems and technology operations, especially in a startup environment.
- You get a kick out of aligning first principles thinking, research and systems thinking to achieve great results, especially in new, complex environments.
- A deep drive to build robust, resilient systems, with a relentless drive for excellence.
- Superb computer skills including proficiency with the following platforms: Google Application Suite (Docs, Drive, Groups, Admin), Slack, Github.
- A collaborative mindset, with a passion for supporting internal teams and projects.
- Have a rigorous, process-driven work style backed by an ability to communicate effectively.
- An impeccable record of integrity and trust.
- Previous experience handling IT, security, and customer support at a growing startup.
- Previous experience supporting a global, distributed workforce.
- Full-stack software engineering experience.
- Industry recognized security and support certifications (CISSP or equivalent, ITIL).
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.